Friday, August 18, 2017

eeeeekkk!

This is my 18th year in education. That sounds like a really long time. I still get so excited for the beginning of school. So much planning goes into great things happening the first few weeks of school, as well as the weeks that follow those first few. The foundation that is set at the very beginning of the year carries throughout the year and can be referenced at any point in time.

My favorite discussions to have with my students at the beginning of the year include two videos and the beginning of a transformation of thought - which includes the capacity of a brain to grow and change. Just because you haven't been "good" at something doesn't mean you can't practice and improve your skills in that area. The brain is amazing.

Enjoy these two, and I would love to hear your feedback on how they relate to the classroom. One of my favorite sayings in my math classroom was "It appears you're stuck on an escalator" which would immediately help a kid realize the answer to their problem is right in front of their eyes. They just have to reframe their thinking to see it!

Stuck on an Escalator Video 

Backwards Bike Video

1 comment: